>> Sunday, 29 June 2008
So, wowzers!, there's a ton of great music taking place in these parts on Canada Day, so I thought I'd do a run down of some of the key ones.
1. At The Albert - Headlights, a Chicago-based band who specialize in friendly pop tunes along the lines of Stars and Death Cab. Tix $7 @ Music Trader. Doors: 9 p.m. (side note: this is where I'll be at night, and I find it rather ominous that neither the band's site nor MySpace page lists a stop in Winnipeg).
2. At The Park Theatre - Jose Gonzalez, a Swedish-based folk singer-songwriter. Tix $20 @ Music Trader. Doors: 7 p.m.
3. At The Garrick - Drive By Truckers, a Georgia-based (US) rock band who recently soared up the Billboard Rock Charts (peaking at #37). Tix $27 @ Music Trader. Doors: 7 p.m.
4. On Osborne Street - The (Diverse) Music Trader Stage featuring: The Black Aces, The Waking Eyes, The After Life, Weatherman Underground, The Ex-Girlfriends, Electro Quarterstaff, The Gorgon, and Vitaminsforyou. Admission is free. Shows take place all day, starting at I don't know when, but it's probably safe to meander on down 'round 2. Photo: Vitaminsforyou
5. At The Forks - Starting at 2:45, The Scotiabank Stage has local acts teaming up with high school acts : The Gorgon w/ Contrabande, The Angry Dragons w/ Rocket Circus, Boats! w/ Thrive, Quinzy w/ The Playing Cards, and The Nods w/ Kobalt. Admission is free. Photo: Boats!
Current rotation: MGMT - Oracular Spectacular