>> Monday, 23 January 2012
One more show announcement to pass along...
Treasured singer-songwriter Kathleen Edwards has booked a show at The Garrick on Saturday, April 14th. Ticket sales get underway on Friday, January 27th @ 10 with tickets running $27.50 plus fees, etc.
>> Thursday, 19 January 2012
First up, Vancouver-rooted quirk-pop act Said The Whale return to Winnipeg for a gig at the Park Theatre on April 21st, touring in support of their new record, Little Mountain (street date: March 6th).
Red Moon Road release their self-titled debut at the WECC on Saturday, March 17th alongside Bog River.
Octoberman is at the Lo Pub on March 23rd.
The Rock & Soul event featuring The Perms and The Noble Thiefs goes down at the Park Theatre on February 3rd.
And finally, kickstarted by James Struthers, a plethora of Manitoba artists have banded together to start a "Choose Your Charity" concert series event, scheduled to take place every Thursday night at the Free Press Cafe. The lineup for the new few months is as follows:
- Thurs. Jan. 26 @ 7 p.m. - JD Edwards (charity: Manitoba Mutts)
- Thurs. Feb. 2 @ 7 p.m. - Katie Murphy (charity: Beyond Borders ECPAT Canada)
- Thurs. Feb. 9 @ 7 p.m. - Keri Latimer (charity: West Central Women's Resource Centre)
- Thurs. Feb. 16 @ 7 p.m. - Don Amero (charity: Agape Table)
- (Reading Week – series intermission)
- Thurs. Mar. 1 @ 7 p.m. - Flo (charity: World Vision)
- Thurs. Mar. 8 @ 7 p.m. - Thrift Store Love (charity: CancerCare Manitoba Foundation)
- Thurs. Mar. 15 @ 7 p.m. - Hayley Gene (charity: W.I.S.H. Inc.)
- Thurs. Mar. 22 @ 7 p.m. - James Struthers (charity: Winnipeg Harvest)
>> Tuesday, 17 January 2012
Update: according to reader Meric S, the presale starts tomorrow at 10, the code is wff, and tickets go for $35 + taxes + fees.
This summer Beirut hits the Trans Canada Highway for a Canadian trek that spans from Montreal to Vancouver. And fortunately for Winnipeg fans, the tour itinerary includes a stop in these parts on July 23rd for a date at the Burton Cummings Theatre.
Speaking of the Burt, veteran rock act Social Distortion is there on April 23rd. Along for the night is The Toadies.
>> Tuesday, 10 January 2012
Modernist pop band Islands return to Winnipeg for a March 3rd date at the WECC. Look for their new record, A Sleep & A Forgetting, when it drops on February 14th.
>> Monday, 9 January 2012
Award-winning blues-rock pairing the Black Keys return to Winnipeg for a date at the MTS Centre on May 14th with ticket sales commencing on Friday. And they're bringing along a pretty fantastic opener: Arctic Monkeys!
Meanwhile, over at the WECC, Great Lake Swimmers drop by on May 4th w/ Cold Specks.
And finally, singer-songwriter Amelia Curran performs at the Park Theatre on March 6th.
Thanks for anon for the last tip!
>> Friday, 6 January 2012
Happy New Year, Dear Readers!
Lots of concert doin's a transpirin' around Winnipeg these days, so let's dive right on in:
- Chart-topping, Rock and Rock Hall of Fame act Van Halen (Eddie, Alex, Wolfgang, and David) is scheduled to rock the MTS Centre for the first time on May 17th. Look for their new record, A Different Kind of Truth, on February 7th if ya feel like scissor kicking.
- Lucy Rose as well as The Darcys are supporting Bombay Bicycle Club at the WECC on February 25th.
- Speaking of the WECC, Montreal-based Jazz act Yves Leveille Quartet is there on February 9th.
- Resident singer-songwriter Jenny Berkel is releasing her debut full-length, Here on a Wire, at the Exchange Community Church on Saturday, January 14th. The Crooked Brothers are also part of the whole soiree.
- Speaking of local musical talent, Demetra Penner is holding her cd release party at Cinematheque on January 25th w/ Keri Latimer.
- Joel Plaskett returns to Peg City for a gig at the Garrick Centre on April 21st. Frank Turner is also on the bill.
- Raizen Band, Phlegm Fatale, and Vav Jungle make up a triple-bill at the Park Theatre going down on January 14th.
- On Saturday, February 18th, Nathan Rogers sings the songs of his late father, Stan, at the WECC.
- And finally, Whitehorse-via-Sweden singer-songwriters Sarah MacDougall has three Winnipeg dates on the horizon: February 17th at the Kings Head; and February 18-19 at Festival Du Voyageur.