Show Preview - 11 Questions With Library Voices

>> Monday 17 November 2008


Library Voices are a ten piece hyper-literate indie conglomerate from Regina who make cosmopolitan pop that is undeniably fresh and catchy. Sort of Canada’s answer to I’m From Barcelona, but, well, probably better. The band has recently been featured in Spin magazine’s “Three Undiscovered Bands You Need To Hear Now!”, have played a CBC Radio 3 showcase with Chad VanGaalen (arguably Canada’s hottest indie act), and, oh, are stopping by the Lo Pub on Thursday.

I'm going. You should too, before these promising and talented folks are elevated to indie-pop superstar status with tickets costing more than $10 (at least I think that's the cost).

Anyways, I had the extreme pleasure of asking Library Voices’ Michael Dawson (MD) and Amanda Scandrett (AS) a series of fun, character revealing, at times silly questions. In the process, I learned they are the only two people in the world who haven’t seen The Dark Knight, are ardent Okkervil River fans, and are people who definitely know their New Kids on the Block.

(Thanks to both of them for this).

1. Where are you right now?

MD: I'm actually just sitting on my sofa watching old reruns of the Cosby Show. Claire is training so she can fit into a dress for a big gala event. I just got home from the studio where we are working on a new record.

AS: I’m sitting in my studio, watching paint dry. It’s an old brownstone built in the 20’s but the interior is completely 70’s—like orange fabric wallpaper and wood panelling. The kitsch factor in this place is through the roof, which makes me love the space even more.

2. Where's the best venue in Regina to play a show?

MD: I have to say The Exchange. We've played a handful of shows there and it's always so much fun.

AS: Definitely the Exchange, but I’m a little biased. I’ve worked there for years, so playing there is as comfortable as playing in my living room.

3. Who's the best Regina-based band (other than your own, of course)?

MD: Rah Rah. They have a new record out called Going Steady. Everyone should check it out.

AS: There’s a few. Regina has tons of great bands kicking around right now. My all-time favourite is Rah Rah, but Sylvie and Molten Lava are close seconds for me. Both Rah Rah and Sylvie just released new albums, and Molten Lava will be releasing one real soon.

4. What's your favourite Radiohead record?

MD: This is sort of a loaded question. I'm going to go with Ok Computer.

AS: Oh. By Radiohead you mean Paul Simon, right? Graceland. (I haven’t really got into Radiohead at this point. I guess there’s a time and place for everything.)

5. Jon Stewart or Stephen Colbert?

MD: Colbert

AS: Colbert

6. PC or Mac?

MD: I have a PC at home and a Mac at work. So I suppose both? Although to be fair I've had 2 desktop and 3 laptops die in the last 18months at home.

AS: Mac, but they both do the job.

7. What was the last great concert you saw?

MD: Either Okkervil River @ The Legion in Calgary this past summer or M Ward at Bumbershoot.

AS: Okkervil River at the Sled Island Fest in Calgary this summer. They played in an old gorgeous church, and Mother Mother opened. That one was really good, and also TV on the Radio a couple years ago at the Commodore in Vancouver.

8. Is The Dark Knight best picture worthy?

MD: I honestly haven't seen it. I'm not much of a movie guy. Although I did really enjoy Burn After Reading...but I fear I might be lynched by armies of nerds if I suggest it might be superior to The Dark Knight.

AS: Ummm never seen it? I have a personal policy—no stressful movies, so I think that rules out Dark Knight . I am aware that this makes me a damn wiener. I’m ok with that.

9. What are your top three all-time favourite records?

MD: Just three? That's impossible!
The Beatles - Sgt Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band
Violent Femmes - Violent Femmes
The Beach Boys - Pet Sounds
Archers Of Loaf - Icky Mettle
Dear You - Jawbreaker
Dr. Hook & The Medicine Show - Dr. Hook's Greatest Hits
John K Samson - Slips & Tangles
The National - The Boxer
Although I have to confess that if you ask me this same question 5 times you would likely get 5 different answers.

AS: Okkervil River - The Stage Names
Beach Boys - Pet Sounds
Cursive - The Ugly Organ

10. What's one song you love, but probably shouldn't?

MD: "Teenland" by The Northern Pikes

AS: Architecture in Helsinki’s "Heart it Races"…it’s not that I shouldn’t listen to it, it’s just that I probably shouldn’t listen to it 10 times in a row. Every day. For like a year…

11. And finally…who's your favourite New Kid on the Block (Donnie, Danny, Joey, Jordan, or Jonathan)?

MD: Little Joey McIntyre. No one ever votes for the good guy. Although I have to admit Donnie did go through a stage briefly in the Hangin' Tough era where he was wearing black ball caps with a metal name plate on it that nearly swayed my vote. Any points he won for the had though he lost ten-fold though by making Ransom with Mel Gibson.

AS: well when I was younger I always liked Donnie best because I thought he was the most attainable (grotesque)…which may say something about my self esteem as a child…but there will always be a special place in my heart for Mr. Jordan Knight. Well maybe not always. Like not now. But once.

3 comments:

Anonymous,  18 November 2008 at 09:11  

i too, once, felt the love for jordan. this is a great new feature... fun questions.

Anonymous,  19 November 2008 at 11:21  

Do I have to get tickets in advance somewhere for this? I've never been to the Lo Pub and can't really find any info about it...

Mykael 19 November 2008 at 21:39  

I don't believe there are tickets for this show. I am planning on just showing up around 9.

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template Webnolia by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP