In The Know...11 Questions With The Eardrums

>> Friday 7 May 2010



Exactly one week from today, The Lo Pub plays host to a triple-bill of local talent: Hyper-literate troupe The Paperbacks, experimental rockers The Departures, and upstart indie-trio The Eardrums.

I recently cornered The Eardrums and bombarded them with 11 random, interest/character-revealing questions. See what they had to say below. Also, they sent along some fun Eardrums-related schwag - some red, yellow, and orange guitar picks (the band's official colours); a homemade guitar pick holder; and a few small-but-fashionable buttons. If you’re interested, shoot me and email by Wednesday @ noon with “The Eardrums Schwag Giveaway” in the subject line and your name in the body of the email. Winning name will be drawn randomly shortly after noon on Wednesday.

Behold!

Legend:
G - Grant Partridge, 26
T - Tim Partridge, 26, Grant's twin brother
J - Donald James MacLean, 25

1. Where are you right now?

G: Where else? Crappy Road, where magic happens... A.K.A. our studio/jamspace... A.K.A. my bedroom.
T: I'm at home playing tug-a-war with Sadie.

Let’s talk Winnipeg…

2. Where is the best place in town to catch a bite?

J: The Underground Cafe on Arthur. I go there with my friend whenever she's in town from Toronto. The Sun Burger -- delicious.
T: Olympia Diner. It's a Greek restaurant on Portage. Cheap-cheap, big portions. I appreciate quantity even moreso than quality, and they have both.

3. Who is your favourite local artist/band?

T: The Waking Eyes. I know that Holding On To Whatever It Is wasn't Video Sound II, and it took like five years for it to be released, but crank up "Keeps Me Coming Back" and you'll see why they're still my fave. Runners up are Jicah, the Stiff Bishops, and the Telepathic Butterflies.
J: The Waking Eyes. I do like them. I used to be a big fan of Comeback Kid. What else... Electro Quarterstaff!

4. What’s the worst bus route in the city?


G: The 66. Specifically, the Polo Park flavor. Stop getting my hopes up. I know you'll only take me halfway to where I wanna go.
J: The 21 Crestview, because it never fucking comes. It's like a unicorn.

5. Where do you shop for music?

G: Between sporadic digital downloads, I like to save my pennies for a biannual binge at Rockin' Richards.
T: The Entertainment Exchange moved into St. James a couple years back. Doug from the Paperbacks runs that show. He's turned my CD collection into something moderately respectable.

And some hodgepodge…

6. What are some albums that completely changed your life?

G: They're not too representative of my musical tastes today, but three biggies were OK Computer, Siamese Dream, and Bargainville by Moxy Früvous.
T: Born a Lion by Danko Jones. It's a pep-talk whenever you're not feeling 100%.
J: Well, the very first album I ever got was Offspring's Smash. I guess that got me into music. That and In Utero. I guess that's a good enough change.

7. Of the albums you own, which has the best cover art?

G: It's gotta be Thick as a Brick. Totally fascinating by itself and perfectly complements the music. Runners up: Pink Flag and The Commercial Album.
J: I would either say Santana's Abraxas or Over-nite Sensation by the Mothers of Invention.

8. What is your favourite music video?



T:  "Everlong" by the Foo Fighters. Dave Grohl and a gigantic clay hand smackin' up the rest of the band. I think that was the beginning of Taylor Hawkins dressing up like a lady... and WHAT A LADY!
J: Uh, shit. Beastie Boys "Sabotage"! It's a good one.

9. What’s one film you watch over and over again?

G: There's this animated film called The Point, based on a story and songs by Harry Nilsson. Tim and I are brothers - twins, actually - and ages ago, our mom taped The Point off cable. We couldn't have been older than five. I think I still have the VHS kicking around somewhere, but when I get nostalgic, I play an .avi that I found on some Nilsson blog.
J: The Planet Earth Series by BBC... it's not a film. Does that count?

10. What is your current ringtone?



J: It's the Super Mario underwater theme. World 2-2.
T: Some crummy beeping. It sounds like an injured bird. It's a work phone.

11. And finally, a veritable toughie…who is your favourite Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle (Leonardo, Donatello, Michelangelo, or Raphael)?

G: TMNT was a big deal when I was growing up. Back then, I was a staunch Mikey booster, but in retrospect, I reckon he was good for nothing. These days I find Leonardo to be a better role model.
T: Raph. He was always the badass. While Michelangelo was saying "Outrageous" and "Cowabunga!", Raph was droppin' "Bitchin'" and "Heck yeah!" Plus there was no such weapon as the 'sai' untill he came around... although I think a chick-character from Mortal Kombat eventually stole his thunder.
J: Donatello. He didn't just jump right into to any situation. He thought about it. Y'know, he's a smart guy.

1 comments:

Anonymous,  12 May 2010 at 14:51  

love those sunburgers!!

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template Webnolia by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP