In The Know...11 Questions w/ Ingrid Gatin

>> Wednesday 19 January 2011



Over the past month or so, resident songstress Ingrid Gatin has been out and about charming audiences with her heartstring-tugging lyrics, soulful vocals, and characteristic musical style (she's known for rocking a mean accordion). 

But by out and about, I don't mean at your the venues and clubs. Instead, Gatin has been performing a string of shows while travelling on Canada’s treasured locomotive: Via Rail. And having just entertained passengers on the route across the prairies from Edmonton to Winnipeg, she is officially back in Manitoba for a concert this Saturday at the Exchange Community Church where it's a safe bet new material will be played. Look for her next release this May. 

I caught up with Gatin prior to her departing Edmonton and fired 11 questions her way. Topics discussed included: the seminal impact of Ace of Base’s The Sign; the can’t-miss album art adorning all A Hawk and a Hacksaw records; and, naturally, the feckless St. Boniface bus route.


1. Where are you right now?

We are in cold cold Edmonton.

Let’s talk Winnipeg…


2. Who is the most underrated Winnipeg-based band?

I have played off and on with a band called Twin. They do this folk and experimental music thing, and I think it is totally great. It really gets me going.

3. What is your favourite local venue?

I have a penchant for shows in art spaces. I do a lot of different art projects, and I find it is a really good way to facilitate having other art going on in the same space.

4. Where do you shop for music?

I usual buy music at music shows!

5. Where is the best place in town to catch a bite?



Oh man, this list could go on! I love the West End for food! Amazing Vietnamese and Ethiopian, not to mention the Black Sheep Diner. The Falafel Place is always a favourite.




6. What’s the worst bus route in the city?

I just moved to St. B and I can't seem to catch a bus. I've heard that the buses come early..? Maybe it's the St. B bus route. Although when I get on the bus, they are the friendliest bus drivers! Double edged sword.

And some hodgepodge…


7. What are some albums that completely changed your life?



The Sign - Ace of Base for sure. I was probably about 9 or 10, and it rocked my small town Saskatchewan world. Also Blue - Joni Mitchell. Realizing all the music my mom was listening to was actually amazing was a window to the new world. La Maison De Mon RĂªve by Cocorosie was an album that really opened up my head/heart musically.

8. Of the albums you own, which has the best cover art?






I've loved every album cover by A Hawk and A Hacksaw.






9. What TV shows are you currently following?

I actually have never had TV.

10. What's the last great film you saw?

 I just rewatched The Red Violin. What a dramatic film! It was incredible.

11. And finally, would you rather have the ability to fly or to turn invisible?

Fly.

2 comments:

Vivian, VIA Rail's virtual tour guide 23 January 2011 at 19:29  

Working for VIA Rail, we've been lucky enough to play host to so many talented Canadian artists, Ingrid included! Hope to see you on board again soon.

Vivian is Virtual
VIA Rail's tour guide

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template Webnolia by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP