>> Monday, June 25, 2012
Almost three decades into their existence (c. 1983), alt-rockers Melvins are still going strong.
Now flying under the moniker 'Melvins Lite', the seasoned, experimental, and highly influential group - now comprised of frontman Buzz Osborne, drummer Dave Crover, and bassist Trevor Dunn - are currently on a world tour, a lengthy jaunt which includes a stop at The West End Cultural Centre on Monday, July 9th.
I recently caught up with frontman Buzz Osborne and threw 11 questions his way. Revealed: his prolific reading habits; the oddest thing he's eaten on the road (hint: it's also a Brandon Lee movie); and his dislike of record stores.
1. Where are you right now?
I am in Gallup, New Mexico… Don't ask……….
Let’s talk music…
2. What are some albums that completely changed your life?
The Who Live at Leeds, Sex Pistols (in general) TSOL Dance with Me, Stooges Funhouse and………. Throbbing Gristle Heathen Earth……..
3. Of the records you own, which has the best cover art?
I like Colossus of Destiny…
4. What’s the oddest thing a fan has yelled during one of your shows?
Play one you know…..
5. What are some of your favourite music videos?
ehhhh…. God knows…. I'm not a big music video fan…
6. Where do you shop for music?
On line… Record stores give me a head ache……….
7. What’s one film you can watch over and over again?
Laurence of Arabia…
8. What books are you currently reading?
Fug You by Ed Sanders, Escape from Cookie Land by Phil Irwin, Black Red Necks and White Liberals by Thomas Sowell, Homes ad other Black Holes by Dave Barry. Silent Cal's Almanack by David Pietrusza, Happy Days were Here Again by William Buckley, Tales of Beatnik Glory by Ed Sanders, Full of Life by John Fante, The Quotable Will Rogers by Joseph Carter, My Dark Places by James Ellroy and With the Old Breed: At Peleliu by E.B. Sledge………
9. What are some of your favourite tv shows at the moment?
I NEVER see TV…. I see some TV shows on DVD but I haven't watched TV in a good 30 years……..
10. What’s one of the strangest things you’ve eaten during your travels on the road?
11. And finally, which, if any, social networking sites do you frequent?
None at all….. Does E-Bay count?