The 2013 Winnipeg Folk Festival Lineup

>> Saturday 16 March 2013

Josh Ritter
Josh Ritter returns to the Folk Festival
Photo by Sarah Gofflot

The 2013 Winnipeg Folk Festival lineup dropped today, instantly setting the social media world ablaze with excitement, indifference, and some disappointment. (Although, excitement seems to be the majority).

The main stage lineup is as follows:

Wednesday, July 10
Oh My Darling
The Avett Brothers
City and Colour

Thursday, July 11
Sara Watkins
Indigo Girls
Josh Ritter & The Royal City Band
Serena Ryder
Colin Meloy (of The Decemberists)

Friday, July 12
Nathan Rogers sings Stan: The Rogers Legacy Continues
Lindi Ortega
Danny Michel & The Garifuna Collective
Patrick Watson
The Cat Empire

Saturday, July 13
Habadekuk
Whitehorse
Martin Sexton
Dr. John & The Nite Trippers
Galactic

Sunday, July 14
The Blind Boys Of Alabama
The Flatlanders
Xavier Rudd
Finale

What say you, Readers? Are you feeling unbridled enthusiasm over the lineup? Bitter disappointment? General indifference? Personally, I'm intrigued by some of it (Colin Meloy, Dr. Dog), but am leaning toward sitting this one out.

See the full lineup below:

A Tribe Called Red
Afro Kumbe Sound System
Aidan Knight
Aurelio & The Garifuna Soul Band
Bhi Bhiman
Bob King
Bombino
City and Colour
Cold Specks
Colin Meloy
D'Harmo
Dan Bern
Danny Michel & The Garifuna Collective
David Francey
David Lindley
Dr. Dog
Dr. John & The Nite Trippers
Hayes Carll
Indigo Gilrs
Jason Collett
Josh Ritter & The Royal City Band
Kaki King
Ken Whiteley & The Levy Sisters
Lake Street Drive
Leon Redbone
Lindi Ortega
Locos Por Juana
Los Vega
Madame Diva
Martin Sexton
Matt The Electrician
Nathan Rogers
Niyaz
Oh My Darling
Over The Rhine
Patrick Watson
Peter Paul Van Camp
Rich Aucoin
Robert Ellis
Rose Cousins
Sara Watkins
Sarah MacDougall
Sean Rowe
Sean Watkins
Seanster and the Monsters
Serena Ryder
Shelley Bean & The Duckety Muds
Stringband
Sylvia Tyson
The Allan Kelly Gang
The Avett Brothers
The Blind Boys of Alabama
The Cat Empire
The Dunwells
The Flatlanders
The Garifuna Collective
The Great Balanzo
The Harpoonist & The Axe Murderer
The Howlin' Brothers
The JD Edwards Band
The Magnificent 7s
The Milk Carton Kids
The Okee Dokee Brothers
The Poor Fools Comedy
Tinpan Orange
Tony Furtado
Whitehorse
Xavier Rudd

7 comments:

Dana,  16 March 2013 at 14:34  

suuuper rad lineup. excited to see josh ritter...tribe called red...hayes carll.

willllllllll,  16 March 2013 at 15:41  

I've learned to temper my excitement for the Folk Fest lineup announcement. Yes I will go again, yes I will have a great time, and yes, probably I will find something new that I enjoy.

But dollar for dollar, as in recent years, 2013 is a far more expensive festival than justified by the lineup ($300 inc. camping / $100 per day). In particular I notice substantial repetition this year in the headliners, with Josh Ritter, Patrick Watson, Avett Brothers, Serena Ryder, Xavier Rudd, and Cat Empire playing again.
I think its great that local and Canadian talent is given its dues, but nonetheless I find it underwhelming.

For the record, I love that we have such a well-run festival, that is so loved by so many. I agree, there does seem to be excitement in the twitterspehere, but then WFF is retweeting all the positive and none of the negative. Therefore I may be alone on the above mentioned criticisms, after all the festival has never been more popular in attendees, but I personally can't hide my disappointment

JakeS,  16 March 2013 at 17:20  

I can't say anything stands out in the line-up for me. Having said that, most of my favs from last year are acts I had never previously heard of. :)

Why is Colin Meloy's name always followed with (of the Decemberists)? Might be time his name can stand on it's own...

Anonymous,  16 March 2013 at 19:50  

I'd like to see Dr. Dog and Hayes Carll, but it is expensive and tough to justify for a day pass. A bit underwhelming, actually.... Lots of these acts you can see throughout the year here and there.

Anonymous,  17 March 2013 at 13:48  

Rich aucoin (assuming he's at big blue @ night) could be a lot of fun.

@justwpg,  17 March 2013 at 15:19  

disappointing imho, ill use my wpg concert dollars and see the Roots and Purity Ring instead

Anonymous,  21 March 2013 at 00:33  

I've been going to WFF since I was a lad, so this is 20 years of going to this fine event. I know the drill. I don't expect big profile headliners as we often see in other FF's in Canada (out west), and part of the charm for me is to discover a few new jewels in the mix.

I'm very underwhelmed about this line up for 2013. Too much rehash of acts that I've seen enough already. Not enough acts that have me thinking "well, that should be very interesting...." and too many acts that I can often see at the Walker/Cummings theatre on a predictable basis.

I usually fiercely protect the WFF part of the July calendar. Maybe this is a good year to do an epic road trip instead, and hope for better in 2014.

More world music would've tipped the balance in WFF 2013's favour for me.

Lastly, I think the Wed -Sun format is one WFF cannot credibly populate with strong acts anymore. Cut it back to a Thurs night -Sun eve event and I'd be happier. The Wed evening is often a reach to justify based on the lineup lately for that part of the fest.

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template Webnolia by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP