11 Questions With Greg MacPherson

>> Sunday 7 December 2008

If you haven't had the pleasure of hearing local singer-songwriter Greg MacPherson's intelligent, at times politically-driven music nor catching his electrifying shows round town, then, well, you're really missing out on one of our city's prodigial talents. At the moment, Greg is busy penning tunes for his much-anticipated follow-up to 05's Night Flares; however, he took some time out of his busy schedule to answer 11 of my interest-revealing and (at times) daft questions.

By taking part, Greg revealed he hasn't seen The Dark Knight (but has seen The Transporter 3), doesn't watch tv, and is currently reading a Doysteovsky novel that isn't Crime and Punishment!

Thanks to Greg for doing this. [If you're unfamilair, he's the spirited musician on my blog banner, far left].

1. Where are you right now?

I'm in Winnipeg at my place, spending a few hours this afternoon learning a song I was asked to cover for a friend's book launch this Wednesday evening. (Mykael's note: I haven't had the chance to publish this until just now, so this book launch already happened).

2. Where is the best venue in Winnipeg to play a show?

That depends on the size and kind of show you want to put on I suppose. I often play the West End Cultural Centre because it has a good sound system, a reasonable capacity and I like the people there. Of the smaller venues I think that the Royal Albert has the most soul; it's dirty, loud and a little dangerous sometimes, good conditions for rock and roll.

3. Who is the best Winnipeg-based band (other than your own, of course)?

Pip Skid. He's not a band but he's certainly one of the most exciting artists in the city... he's uncompromising, intelligent, funny, thoughtful and unpredictable.

4. What is your favourite Radiohead record?

I don't like Radiohead enough to know that. They're way more Beatles than Rolling Stones and I'm firmly in the Rolling Stones camp myself.

5. Jon Stewart or Stephen Colbert?

I don't watch TV, I think it's a waste of time.

6. Where is your favourite local place to eat?

Monticchio.

7. What was the last great concert you saw?

Birdapres at Lo Pub last night.

8. Is The Dark Knight Best Picture worthy?

Somehow I haven't seen it yet... I hear from reliable sources that it's better than Transporter 3, which I have seen and can vouch for.

9. What are your top three all-time favourite records?

That's pretty hard to answer... I think Silkworm's Developer, The For Carnation's Self-Titled record, and the Clash's Sandinista are pretty high up there though.

10. What book(s) are you currently reading?

Dostoevsky's The Insulted and Injured

11. And finally…who's your favourite New Kid on the Block (Donnie, Danny, Joey, Jordan, or Jonathan)?

That's not even worth thinking about.


Infinite Playlist: The Dismemberment Plan - Emergency & I

7 comments:

oooolivia 8 December 2008 at 23:28  

Worst Winnipeg bus route?!?

Mykael 9 December 2008 at 09:13  

Next time O, next time.

Rieds 11 December 2008 at 00:09  

TV is a waste of time, but Transporter 3 isn't?

Anonymous,  23 December 2008 at 19:10  

bus route - I waited 40 minutes on Portage avenue for an 11 not long ago... it was minus 28C, I was at Portage and Arlington, I started walking and made it all the way to the Bay before a bus came. Gross.

Transporter 3 vs. TV - At least in the theatre I can enjoy some level of social engagement while I escape reality. Watching commercial TV at home is a complete waste of time. Obvious exceptions being a room full of friends watching a sporting event or special feature or any other occasion where the social interaction is the main point of the viewing.

Anonymous,  22 January 2009 at 14:00  

Gotta agree - TV is a huge waste of time. I haven't had cable since 1997.

I must have been waiting for the same 11 in -28 weather... the busses along Portage were a good 45 - 60 minutes behind. I ended up hailing a cab downtown.

BMS 27 January 2009 at 10:05  

You mean like watching our dear Habs, Gmac?

Anonymous,  24 May 2009 at 01:01  

Oh, barf. When is everyone going to realise this guy is a total phony.

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template Webnolia by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP