Painting Over Silence Presents...Random Thoughts About Arranging CDs Alphabetically. Part 2: Five Musings About M-Z

>> Sunday 17 August 2008

So there, CD alphabetizing is done and done.

I gotta admit though, putting my cds in alphabetical order was an unanticipated fun trip down the old cliché they call memory lane. Almost every cd invariably unearthed some memory embedded into it, and I was able to recall with alarming accuracy where I was when I first heard the cd, who turned me onto the artist, who (if) I was dating at the time, etc. Perhaps I could've arranged them autobiographically.


Anyways, here are five random musings about my collection:

1. I don't own enough cds (really).

2. I own zero cds starting with X and only one that begins with Q.

3. The lone Q entry 'Quinimine' was the first disc I ever reviewed for The University of Winnipeg's Stylus magazine. Curiously, the editor at that time now writes for The Free Press.

4. I own a shocking and possibly unhealthy amount of cds by The Smashing Pumpkins, albums which are rarely played and now serve as historic evidence of a past teenage obsession.

Coincidentally, a few months back I stopped off at the LC in The T (anyone born and raised in Transcona is affectionately allowed to call it by 'The T') and ran into an acquaintance from high school who told me how she heard The Smashing Pumpkins on the radio earlier, and immediately said to her boyfriend, "Do you remember who was their biggest fan in high school?"

It's nice to be remembered...even if it's for a daft infatuation.

5. The gold medal for the worst cd I own goes to Joe Pesci (Yes, THE Joe Pesci) for his non-comedic, I-really-wanna-sing, recording Vincent Laguardia Gambini Sings For You. The opening track is called "Yo Cousin Vinny". I'm not kidding. On the plus side, the best April Fools prank to play on a fellow, unsuspecting audiophile is giving them a copy of it, labeling it as X (any hyped band) and telling them they must listen to this immediately.

It gets funnier every year.


Current rotation: The Smashing Pumpkins - Mellon Collie and The Infinite Sadness (an oldie, but a goodie)

4 comments:

Anonymous,  18 August 2008 at 17:11  

Wanna buy a Xiu Xiu cd off of me? It will satisfy the void that is "X" in your collection.

Anonymous,  18 August 2008 at 21:42  

i'm sure you've heard about the neil young/death cab for cutie concert already. i think a concert of such magnitude deserves a post all to itself.
i love your blog and check it almost daily.
sara

Mykael 18 August 2008 at 23:04  

Phil: I'll pass.

Sara: Thanks so much.

BMS 18 August 2008 at 23:35  

How about the soundtrack for Xanadu? A little Olivia Newton-John never hurt anyone... well, maybe it did.

No Q and not U? A good Dischord band that I reviewed back in my Stylus volunteering days.

And writing for the Freep ain't that curious - I landed my WFP gig via the interim Arts Editor at the time, who, as it were, used to be the Stylus Editor as well. In fact, there are two WFP staffers and yours truly rocking the freelance who are all doing stuff for the Freep...

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template Webnolia by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP