Wishful Concert Thinking For The New Year

>> Wednesday 31 December 2008

So.

Last year I scored a disheartening 0 for 10 (almost as bad as the Detroit Lions) on my New Year’s
Bands I Really Hope Come to Town Wish List. While I caught one band (Sigur Rós) in Minneapolis, it doesn’t count since it never took place here, such is the inflexible criteria.

Sure I’m slightly discouraged by the lack of love our city gets, but tis the season for optimistic wishes, so I composed another year’s list of concert hopefuls. This year though, I asked my trusted Magic Eight Ball fortune teller what the likelihood of each band coming to town was, and I must warn you its surprisingly sentient answers aren’t very comforting (and are just plain mean at times!)

2009 Winnipeg Concert Wishlist (in no particular order):


1. Vampire Weekend

Magic 8 ball said: Outlook Not So Good

2. Mum

Magic 8 ball said: Concentrate and Ask Again. I did: Better not tell you now.

3. Carl Newman

Magic 8 ball said: As I see it, yes.

4. Parachutes

Magic 8 ball said: Cannot predict now.

5. Goldfrapp

Magic 8 ball said: Here’s a prediction I can make: not happening.

6. Death Cab For Cutie (headlining show)

Magic 8 ball said: They were just there. Don’t push your luck.

7. Radiohead

Magic 8 ball said: Are you fucking kidding me? You live in Winnipeg dude!

8. MGMT

Magic 8 ball said: About as likely as the NHL returning.

9. Flight of the Conchords

Magic 8 ball said: *slaps knees* You SLAY me! Flight of the Conchords playing Winnipeg?!? A ha ha ha…that’s even funnier than the show!

10. Rah Rah

Magic 8 ball said: Now you’re being realistic. All signs point to “maybe”.


Who would
you love to see come to town?

Infinite Playlist: Rah Rah - Going Steady

6 comments:

Anonymous,  31 December 2008 at 12:11  

The National

Iron and Wine

Pernice Brothers

Bon Iver

Anonymous,  31 December 2008 at 13:02  

I'd love to see Empires here (although that seems unlikely). Other bands I'd love to see (but also unlikely) are The Hush Sound, Forgive Durden and Cobra Starship.

Anonymous,  31 December 2008 at 15:58  

i'll second the national and bon iver.
i'll add neko case, david bazan, starflyer 59, ben kweller, broken social scene, and perhaps chad vangaalen.

Unknown 2 January 2009 at 12:50  

Hmmm... I'm pretty sure your magic 8 ball didn't say those things. But if it really DID then wow... you've got a REAL Magic 8 Ball. Hold on to it (despite its rudeness)!

Anyway, another vote for The National and for Neko Case. Add The Hold Steady and Wolf Parade to that mix.

Anonymous,  6 January 2009 at 16:03  

The National for sure. Morrissey, but I'll have to go to Minneapolis for that one. He's still hung up on the seal hunt.

Anonymous,  26 January 2009 at 15:10  

Fleet Foxes. Neko Case. Bruce Springsteen. Andrew Bird. Bon Iver. (I saw him last summer in Pittsburgh, and was totally blown away.)

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template Webnolia by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP