11 Questions With...Little Foot Long Foot

>> Wednesday 15 July 2009


Bluesy, boozy, and pulsing with life. This pretty much sums up the dynamite sound of co-ed garage-rockers Little Foot Long Foot.

Hailing from Toronto, the twosome of singer/guitarist Joan Smith and drummer Isaac Keith are bringing their rockin’ good-time-of-a-show to the Pyramid this Friday, part of an extensive tour in support of their incendiary head-turner Harsh Words. The band's fiery frontwoman answered 11 Qs for me and by doing so revealed her crush on '09 Polaris-nominee Joel Plaskett, her dislike of the Beatles, and her favourite word (monkey!).

1. Where are you right now?

We're in Toronto. We're recouping to the best of our abilities after the eastern leg of this tour and trying our damndest to detox (the Maritimers like their drink) before hitting the road again next Tuesday.

2. Who is the best Toronto-based band (other than your own, of course)?

We're partial to a band called The Mercy Now http://www.myspace.com/themercynow. Only seen them once, but they completely destroyed the band they were opening for and we've been listening to their song 'Mercy' for the past 10 months almost non-stop. One of the best pump up songs we've ever heard.

3. Right now, would you rather listen to The Beatles or Radiohead?

I am sort of infamously (within my circle of friends) against the Beatles, so I would pick Radiohead. It's pretty much impossible to get away from the Beatles no matter where you go or what you read...Radiohead is at least more of a CHOICE...plus they are, you know, not too shabby.

4. What are your top three, all-time favourite records?

T Rex - Electric Warrior
so simple. so repetitive. so GOOD. And, of course, the best album cover ever.

Joel Plaskett - Down at the Khyber
I used to be head over heels in love with this man...mostly due to how amazing this album is (plus he was really cute when he had shaggy hair).

Tori Amos - Boys for Pele
I am aware that this one does not make me look all that cool, but it is basically the soundtrack to my early teens and I will assert that if she was young and brand new right now and released this album she would blow most indie songstresses/songsters out of the water. I realize now that a lot of her stuff is corny and over-dramatic (perfect for a pre-teen), but this album is so varied/angry/delicate that it has never gotten old for me.

5. What is one song you love, but dismiss as “a guilty pleasure”?

Right now it would DEFINITELY be 'Poker Face' by Lady Gaga. She at least (allegedly) writes her own songs so I don't have to feel QUITE as guilty about it...I think? 'Bluffin with my muffin'. I love it. This song is a necessity when I hit the gym.

6. What was the last great concert you saw?

We're musicians, so we are usually broke and generally can't afford to go to big fancy concerts. Seen lots of great little acts wherever we play. The last big one that really blew me away though was Sharon Jones and the Dap Kings at the Phoenix in Toronto...more than a year and a half ago. She controls a crowd like almost no other, and the band is obviously tighter than shit...cuz shit is pretty tight.

7. Would you rather have invisibility or flight?

Definitely flight, cuz there's a lot of the world that I have yet to see and I imagine that would be a big help. Also, being invisible would probably mean hearing people talk shit about you cuz they think you're not there, and I don't really have any desire to hear such things.

8. What is your favourite word?

'Monkey'! Followed closely by 'puppy'! I cannot say either word without smiling. I obviously DETEST animals.

9. PC or Mac?

This is being typed on a Mac...but it's not mine. It's pretty, though. I've heard the actor who plays the PC in the Mac commercials speak, though, and he is really quite endearing...plus I am pretty suspicious of the Mac people saying how these things are virus and spy-ware proof cuz there are 'so few of them'. Go into any coffee shop in Toronto and it's just a sea of MacBooks. There's gotta be some yuppie hating virus maker somewhere trying to bring these things down from the inside. So I'll pick PC due to its transparency, and it was my first.

10. What book(s) are you currently reading?

I'm re-reading 'I'm With the Band' by Pamela Des Barres. Although I don't think I would've exactly enjoyed being a groupie in the 60s/70s, that book gives me a perfect blend of escapism and a keen feeling of jealousy.

11. And finally…who’s your favourite Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle (Leonardo, Donatello, Michelangelo, or Raphael?

Although I think I watched that show a lot as a kid...was there really a difference between them? They all liked pizza, right? Whoever had the nunchucks, I guess.

***

Stars' co-leader Amy Millan returns to the West End on October 18th.

Lee Harvey Osmond play there on October 21st.

Mark Berube & The Patriotic Few stop by the WECC on October 14th.

The Fugitives drop in three days later.

Infinite Playlist: Wilco - Wilco (The Album)

1 comments:

Pump Up Songs 15 October 2010 at 13:48  

You listen to Lady Gaga at the gym? Interesting! Awesome interview.

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template Webnolia by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP