In The Know...11 Qs With Jenn Grant

>> Wednesday 3 February 2010



Folk-pop songstress Jenn Grant is rapidly becoming a National Treasure.

Currently in the midst of a cross-country tour - a 13-date trek which sees her pay a visit to the Park Theatre on Tuesday, February 9th - Grant is celebrating the one-year anniversary of her breakthrough, Echoes. Since the record dropped, Grant has earned accolades all over the country. The charming chanteuse is a strong contender for three East Coast Music Awards - Female Solo Recording of the Year, Recording of the Year and Pop Recording of the Year. And on top of the three possible mantle additions, Grant is also performing during the Winter Olympics medal ceremony on February 16th. Indie music and medals! Go Canada Go!

I’ve got a copy of the striking Echoes for giveaway (courtesy of the fine folks at Six Shooter Records). Entering is business as usual. Fire me off an email (on the right) by Monday the 8th @ high noon CST with “Jenn Grant Echoes – Giveaway” in the subject line, your name in the body, and I’ll draw a winner randomly.

I had the great pleasure of throwing 11 Qs Grant’s way and she shot back with some mighty fine, character-revealing answers. I had no idea someone (other than me and my sister) watched Home Alone religiously when they were 10.

That irresistibly zany, criminal-foiling Kevin McCallister...

1.Where are you right now?
Halifax, Nova Scotia. In my livingroom, listening to Sigur Ros.

Let’s talk music…

2. What are your top-three, all-time, desert-island records? 
Laura Veirs "July Flame"
Phoenix  "Wolfgang Amadeus Phoenix"
"Arvo Part"

3. Of the albums you own, which has the best cover art?
Jens Lekman "Night falls over Kortedala"

4. Where do you shop for music?
Record Stores in far away cities or itunes.

5. Who is one artist, alive or dead, that you’d love to record a song with?
Laura Veirs.

6. Who is the most underrated Canadian artist/band?
 Erin Costelo, New artist from Halifax Nova Scotia.


And some hodgepodge…


7. What book(s) are you currently reading? 
"A Complicated Kindness" by Miriam Toews

8. What’s one film you watch over and over again? 
 When I was 10 there was a significant amount of time where I watched Home Alone everyday. And then I watched it again this Christmas. I like it when he dances with the paper people.


9. What is your current ringtone? 
I do not celebrate the ringtone.

10. What is your favourite winter Olympics sport? 
I love watching Figure Skating. My mother and I shared a borderline unhealthy relationship towards Elvis Stojko for some time.

11.And finally, a toughie…who is your favourite Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle (Leonardo, Donatello, Michelangelo, or Raphael)?
If it's alright I will answer this by saying that I like Splinter. We named a gerbil after him.
At this point in my life, I can no longer remember the difference between turtles. If one of them liked drawing pictures then I think I liked him. I also enjoyed that movie circa 1990 and watched my brother attempt to build nunchucks for about a year. we were very arts and crafts based children though and did not use the nunchucks for anything..

Infinite Playlist: Los Campesinos! - Romance Is Boring

1 comments:

James,  4 February 2010 at 10:46  

Laura Veirs! Great singer.

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template Webnolia by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP