In The Know...11 Questions w/ Falklands

>> Thursday 14 October 2010



When reading Falklands’ press bio, I came across this impressive fact: over the past year-and-a-half, the spirited indie-rockers have logged over 100 shows! AND have made two EPs, released two 7-inch singles, and, most recently, launched their debut full-length record, Think About It.

But, really, it's not that surprising. Armed with a brand of melodic power-pop that frequently steers and crashes into punk-rock, this upstart Edmonton-based quartet simply brims with high-octane, infectious energy.

See the tireless foursome this Tuesday, October 19th at the Lo Pub w/ Plus Perfect.

I recently caught up with singer/guitar Jason Stevenson for 11 questions. Discussed: the Wire’s sheer awesomeness; that new Weezer album cover; and the impact the Dead Milkmen had on his younger, impressionable self.

1. Where are you right now?

I am sitting in a kitchen in Ottawa. We are late leaving so I will try to type fast. Please forgive any spelling errors. Last night we played to five of the greatest people in the world.

Let’s talk music…

2. What are some albums that completely changed your life?

Dead Milkmen- Big Lizard in My Backyard. I was in grade six and I had never heard anything like it. I still haven't. It took ten years for the rest of my music taste to catch up to that record.

3. Of the records you own, which has the best cover art?



I can tell you what the worst is. That stupid fucking Weezer record with the guy from Lost on it.

4. Who is one producer, alive or dead, you’d just love to work with?

Nick Lowe. When he was the house producer he was refered to as, "The Basher" "Bash em' out and tart em' up later." That was his motto for recording some of the greatest records ever. I think that would be good for us because we don't have any money.

5. What’s the oddest thing a fan has yelled during one of your shows?

"Play one you know."

6. What is your favourite music video?

I can't afford cable.

7. Where do you shop for music?

At Listen Records in beautiful downtown Edmonton. A guy named Jazz works there.

And some hodgepodge…


8. What’s one film you can watch over and over again?

Rushmore



9. What book(s) are you currently reading?

Catch 22

10. What tv show(s) do you follow?

The Wire made all other TV shows obsolete.

(Editor's Note: Video is NSFW).



11. And finally, would you rather have the ability to fly or turn invisible?

If I say fly, do my arms have to turn into wings? I don't want wings but I would like to fly. I'll take metaphorical wings.

2 comments:

Sam,  14 October 2010 at 22:00  

is that the 4th or 5th now that's really loved the wire? really that good of a tv show?

Mykael 15 October 2010 at 23:45  

In my opinion, a big, resounding "Yes."

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template Webnolia by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP