In The Know...11 Questions w/ Rob Moir

>> Tuesday 8 February 2011


Toronto songsmith Rob Moir makes stirring, honest, and uber-melodic folk music, a remarkable stylistic shift for a musician who, for over five years, fronted erstwhile indie-punk band Dead Letter Dept.

Armed with just a guitar, his trademark wit, and the songs off his debut EP, This Is The Life, the burgeoning folk rocker is currently touring the United States and Canada in support of this release. And what's a 40-date solo jaunt without a stop in Winnipeg for a gig this Saturday at the Lo Pub.

I caught up with Moir recently and threw 11 Questions his way. Some topics discussed: why In Bruges is one film that he can watch over and over again; how he selects the books he reads; and the oddest thing a fan has ever yelled during a show.

Here's what he had to say:

1. Where are you right now?

I'm drinking some micro beer in San Francisco, California.
Definitely one of the most beautiful and coolest cities on earth.

Let’s talk music…


2. What are some albums that completely changed your life?

The Replacements 'Tim'
Jawbreaker 'Dear You'
Green Day '1039 Smoothed Out Slappy Hours/Dookie'
Billy Bragg 'Back to Basics'
Whiskeytown 'Pneumonia'
The Beatles 'Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band'

3. Of the records you own, which has the best cover art?






The Swarm 'Old Blue Eyes Is Dead'' 7"








4. Who is one producer, alive or dead, you’d just love to work with?

J. Robbins

5. What’s the oddest thing a fan has yelled during one of your shows?

"Your dad was my music teacher."

6. What is your favourite music video?

The Ramones 'I Wanna Be Sedated'

7. Where do you shop for music?

Who's Emma and Fullblast (Toronto)

And some hodgepodge...


8. What’s one film you can watch over and over again?

'In Bruges.' That movie gets to me and makes me laugh harder then
anything I've seen in a long time. Europe has my heart and this film
reminds me how much I love that crazy land.

9. What book(s) are you currently reading?

Selected letters of Allen Ginsberg. Looking forward to some Atwood
and Richler books my friends recommended for me during my tour across
Canada. I like to read stuff inspired or based off where I am
geographically.

10. What tv show(s) do you follow?



I love Curb Your Enthusiasm, Peep Show & almost anything on the BBC.

11. And finally, would you rather have the ability to fly or turn invisible?

I like the ability to turn flies invisible.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template Webnolia by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP