In The Know...11 Questions w/ Man Your Horse

>> Wednesday 1 June 2011


Lauded for their frenetic live shows, overall technical proficiency, and inventive, off-kilter rhythms, Vancouver-based indie-rock trio Man Your Horse are currently out touring in support of their latest recording, Shorts EP. This high-kilometer trek around North America sees the band drop by The Albert this Sunday, June 6th, before returning to Winnipeg on June 22nd for a gig at the Lo Pub.

I recently caught up with 2/3s of Man Your Horse and threw 11 questions their way. Discussed: attending a Bush concert back when they were Bush X; what make Jaws such a rewatchable film; and the 4th member of the band.

J = Julian (guitar + vocals) ; C = Calum (bass)

1. Where are you right now?

J: Sitting in the sun outside my place in beautiful Vancouver, BC, Canada (Nardwaur voice).
C: A poorly lit kitchen

Let’s talk music…

2. What are some albums that completely changed your life?

J: Hearts of Gold: The Rap Collection - this is a compilation and not an "album", but it exposed me to A Tribe Called Quest and Run DMC when I was 10 years old.
Pink Moon (Nick Drake) - Taught me the importance of a true performance in a recording.
Going Down Swingin' (Sweep the Leg Johnny) - Eye opening tech-rock.
You, You're a History in Rust (Do Make Say Think) - This is my favourite sounding recording of all time - so much space and feel.
American Don (Don Caballero) - Opened up a whole new world of music for me.
Lionel Hampton and His Giants (Lionel Hampton) - Showed me that jazz can rule.

C: One Man Band (Abner Jay) : honesty
Trees, Swallows, Houses (Maps & Atlases) : technicality without ego or aggression
You, You’re A History in Rust (Do Make Say Think) :  words can be overrated
The Rise and Fall of Ziggy Stardust and The Spiders From Mars (David Bowie) : still wish I was a spaceman

3. Of the records you own, which has the best cover art?



J: The most outrageous - Goodnight Vienna (Ringo Star).
Most eye catching/good design - You're a Women, I'm a Machine (DFA 1979)
Most suited to the music - King of the Delta Blues Singers (Robert Johnson)
Straight up funny/good - Rumours (Fleetwood Mac) ha! Kills me every time.


C: AWB (Average White Band) – many years ago my Dad lived with some of the members in a dilapidated house in Dundee, Scotland, while they attended architectural school - so it resonates. Not cheeky by today`s standards, but I laughed at it plenty when I was small.

4. What was the first concert you attended, and how old were you?

J: The first concert that I can remember is the Victoria Jazz Festival, I believe that I was 9 years old.

C: The first actual –go out and get a ticketmaster ticket - concert I went to was when I was just shy of 14 and living in London, Ontario. I went to see Bush in Toronto (at the time still being called Bush X – but only in Canada).

5. What’s one piece of equipment absolutely essential to your live show?
J:  Nick L'Rage, our trusty van that always stands ready. 4th member of the band, baby.

C: A belt.

6. What is your favourite music video?



J: "Do The Evolution"  by Pearl Jam

C: "Sabotage" by the Beastie Boys I’d say. I like my moustaches to be obviously fake.

And some hodgepodge…

7. What tv shows are you currently following?

J: Parks and Recreation + I've been re-watching a bunch of old The Mighty Boosh episodes.

C: Bored to Death, Archer, Futurama

8. What book(s) are you currently reading?

J: The Wayfinders (Wade Davis)

C: A Wild Sheep Chase by Haruki Murakami and Red Harvest by Dashiell Hammett. Sort of on a noir kick right now – I like ‘em hard-boiled.

9. What’s one film you can watch over and over again?

J:  CB4. I think I watched it a ga-billion times in highschool. It still rules. AND, ummm… The Princess Bride.  Gangster rap and love stories? AS YOU WISH!



C: JAWS. Crusty sea captain. Giant shark. Gripping soundtrack. Great dialogue.

10. What’s your current ring tone?

J:  I only rock the vibrate mode exclusively. I said it. Consequently, I miss a lot of calls...

C: Belleville Rendez-Vous – Benoit Charest. Ole-timey dancing, Django style.

11. And finally, would you rather have the ability to fly or turn invisible?

J: No brainer - FLY! Birds and spaceships… they totally have it figured out.

C: Fly, no contest.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template Webnolia by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP