The Soundtrack Of Today

>> Wednesday 30 January 2008

Taking the time to soundtrack your day is essential. Meticulously selecting just the right songs to wake up with, listen to while on the bus, during lunch, on your way home, at night, etc. can make an otherwise trivial day feel, well, exciting and refreshing. And if the day's already exciting, a good soundtrack complements it. So today I decided to record my soundtrack for posterity - it was a lot of fun.

  1. Yellow-up (8:32): "Dream On" by the Chemical Brothers. A soothing track featuring the recurring lines "Sleep on/Dream on". Apparently I started the day with self-inflicted irony.
  2. Pre-shower / Tea Prep: Select tracks off Ivy's Long Distance. Also quite soothing, but without the bitter irony.
  3. Post-shower / Breakfast: Handful of tunes off Sparklehorse's It's a Wonderful Life. Tranquility is an emerging theme in the morning.
  4. Bus-ride (to work): Kanye West's "Flashing Lights" x 2 and "Homecoming" x 2. Finally started to wake up. Chris Martin's guest appearance on "Homecoming" helped.
  5. Mad-dash from bus stop to work: M.I.A. "Come Around". I pretended I was in a film being pursued by a pride of Lions; this served as its soundtrack. At one point I yelled "Ahh! Lions!" just to confuse passerbys.
  6. One-hour downtime at work: The Kings of Convenience's Riot on an Empty Street in its entirety x 2. I was filling out paperwork.
  7. Walk to the bank than to school: Key numbers from Mandelbaum Mix Vol. 1 including Duck Tales - Moon and The Go! Team - Huddle Formation. This got me pumped for school.
  8. Walk back to work from school: see previous number, except this time MM V.1 got me pumped for returning to work.
  9. Up till now (and currently): Kings of Convenience's Riot and Quiet is the New Loud. Plowing through some school work/procrastinating.
  10. Before bed: undecided. Anything can happen!
Note: One noticeable ommission is "bus-ride home". A co-worker drove me, although, for the record, I had "Peaches" by the Presidents of the United States of America playing in my head.

Show news that made me do a double-take: Diana Ross is playing The Centennial Concert Hall on May 18th! She must be 100 years old! Tix: Friday.

Have you taken the time to soundtrack lately?

Current rotation: See #9

0 comments:

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template Webnolia by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP