In Reflection...The Top Ten Records Of 2010, In My Opinion

>> Tuesday 21 December 2010


1. Kanye West – My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy

My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy is ineffably great: rhythmically and melodically compelling, endlessly replayable, and features many, many jaw-dropping guest performances (see: Jay-Z on "So Appalled" and Nicki Minaj on "Monster"). 

Here, enormous talent matches a massive ego. And I kinda hate Kanye for that until I remember that, for Mr. West, ego and talent are not and can never be mutually exclusive. 


2. Beach House – Teen Dream

Hypnotic and alluring dream-pop at its best; worst album cover of the year (highlight to see it). 


3. Broken Bells – Broken Bells

With the exception of a few obvious tracks, I’ve never really felt that sonically gratifying connection with James Mercer’s work alongside the Shins. But sometimes, all it takes is the right musical partner. Here Mercer hooks up with white-hot producer Danger Mouse and firmly makes me a fan. After 50 or so listens, I’m still narcotically addicted to “Your Head is on Fire.”


4. Spoon – Transference

Possibly the most aurally challenging Spoon release today. Challenging, you know, in a good way. 


5. LCD Soundsystem – This Is Happening

Purportedly the last LCD Soundsystem record. Which is criminal.


6. The National – High Violet

A moodier, darker, more brooding offering from these Brooklyn-via-Ohio quintet that doesn’t quite match the songwriting brilliance housed throughout Boxer. But it sure comes close.  



7. Besnard Lakes – Besnard Lakes Are the Roaring Night

I still contend this should’ve won the Polaris. 


8. Broken Social Scene – Forgiveness Rock Record

I still contend this should’ve been runner-up for the Polaris. 


9. PS I Love You – Meet Me At Muster Station

Proof positive that an economical drums ‘n’ guitar setup can still pack a visceral wallop. Plus, there are lots of dazzling guitar fireworks (aka solos). And you don’t really hear those in indie-rock. 


10. Small Sins – Pot Calls Kettle Black

A top regret of 2010: missing these guys at the Albert last month. Thomas D’Arcy is one of Canada's most gifted songwriters.

2 comments:

Rieds 22 December 2010 at 15:38  

You think that it is a fair statement that 2009 produced a better crop of albums? Or is it just me, and/or hindsight and familiarity now that I'm that much more exposed to 2009's offerings?

willllllllll,  22 December 2010 at 18:59  

I think that pound for pound, 2010 was one of the best years for music in a long time. Lots of great sophmore records and lots of high expectations met.
Just going on my favourite records from 2009, I think that only Animal Collective and The XX would beat out any record in my top10 for 2010; maybe Neon Indian could sneak in too, but thats it.

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template Webnolia by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP