1001 Albums You Must Hear Before You Die

>> Wednesday 7 February 2007

I picked up a couple of potentially interesting reads the other day. The top book is 1001 Albums You Must Hear Before You Die, a selection of 1001 albums recommended by "leading international critics". What will be more debatable: the critics they chose to include in the book or the albums the critics picked? Just something to think about.

Anyways, I think this book has endless reading potential (or else, I wouldn't have bought it), and I'm glad it will soon be a part of my reading diet. I am intrigued by this question: how many albums from this book do I actually own/have heard? I plan on doing a tally. If I get 150/1001, I'll be surprised.

What will likely happen as I read this is I'll realize I am missing an entire food group from my musical diet. For example, I have never heard anything by Portishead and I'm sure this one band will open Pandora's musical box. After a quick flip through, I'm just glad they included Sigur Ros' Agaetis Bryjun, one of my personal favorites. In fact, their album even gets a full page write-up unlike say, Metallica's S & M, which only got half a page (extremely generous, in my opinion).

The other book is essentially explained on the cover. I am anticipating a great read from this as well, but after a brief peruse I am surprised by some selections. More thoughts on this book later.

I just discovered I gave myself a paper cut while flipping through the mammoth 1001 albums book. It is 960 pages.

Show news:

Jessica Simpson's new man John Mayer hits the MTS Centre on April 26th. Tickets reportedly go on sale Friday, February 16th.

Current rotation: Royksopp/Iron & Wine

Days until Camera Obscura: 6

Days until Sparklehorse: 8

0 comments:

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template Webnolia by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP