The Smashing Pumpkins - Like running into old friends I actually want to hang out with

>> Saturday 10 February 2007


Reading the 1001 Albums book doesn't nearly go as quick as you'd think. This is not a plot driven page turner - a la Dan Brown or Tom Clancy. Reading this monster takes time, especially since it instills a desire to listen to the album you're reading about, sort of a literary equivalent of running into old friends that you actually want to hang around with.

Case in point: I've started listening to The Smashing Pumpkins again, a band I worshipped at one point during the beginnings of my musical fan career. The Pumpkins - who recently reformed and have a new album
Zeitgeist out in July - have two entries in the book: the breakthrough Siamese Dream and the double cd emotional roller coaster Mellon Collie and The Infinite Sadness. I've had MCIS in my player this past day and, well, some of the songs really hold up, particularly the melancholy numbers (on Mellon Collie!). LOL. It is remarkable how many memories listening to this album conjures up. For example, I suddenly remembered the time I got into an argument with some dude at a party when I was 18 over who was the better guitarist: Billy Corgan or Tom Morello. This question is not easily answered, of course, since terms have to be set as to what constitutes a better guitarist. Pure technical ability? Perhaps the knack for consistently writing melodic numbers? I don't know, but arrogantly thought so when I was 18 (I voted for Corgan).

See? This book has endless entertainment value. I'm glad I bought it.

Winnipeg show news...

Why are exclamations in band monikers so popular? Here's another one...

Against Me! is here on April 1st at the Garrick Centre (The Marlborough). I still don't understand what to call this venue. I thought it was called "The Venue". Can someone set the record straight? They are here with Riverboat Gamblers and Fake Problems.

Also gracing our city with his presence is former
Fresh Prince of Bel-Air star "Jazz" aka DJ Jazzy Jeff on February 27th at Pharaohs. This would be very cool, if he didn't come every year...


I'm off to BC tomorrow, but will still update when I can.

Days until Camera Obscura: 3

Days until Sparklehorse: 5

Current rotation: Pumpkins/Beck

0 comments:

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template Webnolia by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP