The Most Serene Republic Live At The Pyramid

>> Saturday 10 November 2007


So I hit the Most Serene Republic show at The Pyramid last night, and, well, it wasn't that great. I'm glad I finally saw MSR in an intimate setting, but, unfortunately The Pyramid was The Pyramid so the sound was terrible. I couldn't hear the female singer's vocals clearly, and there was way too much bass during all three bands' sets.

The opening act was Mother Mother, a band with many innovative ideas who need to settle on a definite sound instead of trying way too many different styles (twangy country, straightforward pop, a near-rap number...to name a few). Plus, two females who strictly sing is one too many, especially considering there's also a male lead singer in the band.

The next band was Dragonette who are best described through this exchange of dialogue that took place last night between me and a friend:

Me: They sound like Metric.
Him: Yup.
Me: I don't really like Metric.
Him: Me either.

I assure you, my friend's vocabulary is a lot deeper than portrayed in the above lines - he just didn't need to say anything more.

Finally, MSR hit the stage and, due to sound problems, I had a hard time distinguishing one song from another. While I'm still not (yet) enthralled by their latest release Population, I was hoping perhaps their live show would help me fall in love with it. But, the sound quality was so poor that didn't happen. Hard to fault the band there - although, perhaps the new material really isn't that good and hearing it clearly wouldn't have helped anyways. Tough call.

I definitely need to give these folks another chance, preferably at another venue.


Current rotation: The Shins - Wincing The Night Away

0 comments:

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template Webnolia by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP