Glowing In The Dark

>> Tuesday 27 May 2008

Last night the inimitable Kanye West proved why he is one of the best entertainers in the music biz, putting on one helluva show at the MTS Centre.

Expletive-free rapper Lupe Fiasco, one of two acts on the bill I was actually familiar with, opened the night, taking the stage around 7 and stirring the slowly-filing-in crowd into a frenzy by the time he finished a half-hour later. I can't remember the last time I saw an opener evoke such a response. "Hip Hop has Saved My Life" was awesome.

The 10+ members of N.E.R.D hit the stage about 20 minutes later and easily won me over with their heavy percussion, LED screens, fevered rapping, and angry electric guitars. Two brilliant acts in a row.

Could Rihanna make it three?

Now admittedly, Rihanna was the performer I was least familiar with, although I did recognize the ubiquitous "Please Don't Stop The Music". This 20 year-old beauty from Barbados not only impressed me with her elaborate costumes (I loved the ballooning ballroom gown), she blew me away with her strong vocals and commanding stage presence. For someone so young, she sure exudes unwavering confident up there.

Then came The Man: Kanye, who, once the curtain rose, lay "fast asleep" and alone on stage. After the LED screens simulated a crash landing on a desolate planet, a seemingly sentient computer (Jane) lowered itself on stage, insisting Kanye "wake up", which he eventually did performing
Graduation opening-track "Good Morning". The space-odyssey theme continued throughout the set while Kanye delivered all the goods to the ecstatic crowd (including this blogger): "Flashing Lights", "Gold Digger", "Stronger", and "Homecoming" (sans Chris Martin).

The entire time West was alone on stage - the band was hidden just below the stage - and for an artist to be so sure of himself AND pull it off, is undeniably impressive. The only exception to this was when Lupe joined Kanye on stage for crowd-favourite "Touch The Sky".

In an unannounced surprise (which I read about today), Janet Jackson & an entourage showed up and watched Kanye's set from the floor. Apparently Bruce Willis's daughter was in attendance too.

Honestly, I could go on and on...It was a show I'm still raving about, a day later. One of the best I've ever seen.


Current rotation: Califone - Roots & Crowns

0 comments:

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template Webnolia by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP