How Many Air Miles Do You Need To Get To The Moon?

>> Friday 23 November 2007

Ok, so admittedly I've been a bit obsessed with youtube lately. It's such a deep well of video awesomeness (that's the best I can come up with right now. I'm, well, tipsy).

I've caught so many of my favourite bands performing many of my favourite songs live on this fruitful site. Recently, I've been watching, over and over, a video from 2003 of Icelandic band Mum performing 'We Have a Map of the Piano', a track I didn't really think was a standout from their absolutely gorgeous 2002 release Finally We Are No One. For those unfamiliar with Mum's musical style, it touches on the alien atmospherics of Sigur Ros, but cranks the melody up to 11. Anyways, the track in question performed live is incredible. When the lead singer assuredly approaches the mike and takes over, I can't help but be impressed with her and the band's confidence in their live show. They must know it just doesn't, and never will, translate properly to a record.

From now on, when I revisit this song on the album, I hear something completely different. This is what I love about live performances - hearing a song then listening to the recording again and reliving that emotional connection you had while watching the band perform it.

I can only imagine what I’d feel if I had been there in person.



0 comments:

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template Webnolia by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP